Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have military retirement income, but no Form 1099R. Where do I enter this income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I have military retirement income, but no Form 1099R. Where do I enter this income?

To report military retirement, it’s very important that you have your Form 1099-R to work from.  A procedure is provided below, but it’s not advised that you proceed without your 1099-R.  

Please call the Defense Finance and Accounting Service’s Retired and Annuitant Pay customer care center at (800) 321-1080 for assistance in getting your Form 1099-R.  They’re open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST, although you may experience long wait times this time of year.

See 1099R & W2 Tax Statement Requests for more information.

To enter your military retirement information without Form 1099-R in TurboTax Online:

1. If you’re on the Hi TurboTax Client, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the Income & Expenses dropdown, then Start or Review/Edit.  Otherwise, select Federal in the left pane, and then Income & Expenses in the banner
  2. Scroll down and click Show more to the right of Retirement Plans and Social Security
  3. Click Start to the right of IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  4. Answer Yes on the Did you get a 1099-R in 2021? page 
  5. Click Continue on the Get ready to be impressed page
  6. To enter Form 1099-R yourself, click Change how I enter my form.  Otherwise, download your form as instructed
  7. Click Type it in myself on the How do you want to enter your 1099‑R? page, if you so choose
  8. On the Who gave you a 1099-R? page, select Financial institution or other provider (1099-R), then Continue
  9. Continue through the screens, entering the information you have and, on the Where is your distribution from? screen, select Military pension, then Continue
  10. Continue through the screens until you come to the Do any of these situations apply to you? screen.  Select the checkbox next to I need to file a substitute 1099-R, then Continue
  11. Continue through the remaining screens

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon at the lower left

**Mark the post that best answers your question by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”

I still need to enter in a 1099-R for my Military Pension.  

How do I change my file returned to a File Extension? [email address removed]

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Instead of filing the extension, you can create a substitute 1099R but would need complete information such as address and EIN for 1099R. Here is how to report.

1. In federal income>wages and income>retirement plans and social security>Ira, 401K,pnension plan withdrawals(1099R)
  2. click on 1099-R to start/edit/update.
  3. The program says Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have
  4. List of forms shows 1099-R, CSA, RRB and asks who does the form belong to - if married.
  5. Select 1099-R and stay on page
  6. Below that, is a box that says I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R.
  7. Check the box, then continue.

You may also file an extension if you are unable to provide the information necessary to fill out the 4852, which is the substitute 1099R.

If using Turbo Tax online, you can file your extension by:

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online
    • To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where you left off
  2. Select File an extension from the black menu section on the left side panel of your program
    • If you don't see File an extension, search for extend using the search function and select Jump to in the search results
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to e-file your extension.

If using the software:go to;

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Other Tax Situations
  3. Other Tax Forms
  4. File an Extension

@peter Woodside

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies