Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gadl

I have an IRA with a loss. I didn't sell it when I turned 70, I'm 72 now what should I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have an IRA with a loss. I didn't sell it when I turned 70, I'm 72 now what should I do?

Starting in 2018, you can no longer deduct a loss when you cash out an IRA. So, you should base your withdrawal schedule on your needs and Required Minimum distribution (RMD) rules.

Even in the past it was only an itemized deduction, subject to the 2% of AGI threshold. Furthermore, even though you may have a financial loss, people seldom have a tax loss in a Traditional (as opposed to Roth) IRA.  One more thing: you couldn't just count the loss in "an" IRA. You had to consider the money in all your IRAs

View solution in original post

2 Replies

change your investment strategy. perhaps to more successful investments.
Your money can resume growing for you.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Starting in 2018, you can no longer deduct a loss when you cash out an IRA. So, you should base your withdrawal schedule on your needs and Required Minimum distribution (RMD) rules.

Even in the past it was only an itemized deduction, subject to the 2% of AGI threshold. Furthermore, even though you may have a financial loss, people seldom have a tax loss in a Traditional (as opposed to Roth) IRA.  One more thing: you couldn't just count the loss in "an" IRA. You had to consider the money in all your IRAs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies