Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcasr

I have a traditional pension that does not have a RMD,why does TurboTax 2016 insist that I check a box or I will have to pay a 50% penalty?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I have a traditional pension that does not have a RMD,why does TurboTax 2016 insist that I check a box or I will have to pay a 50% penalty?

A traditional monthly pension from a former employer automatically includes your RMD, so you can answer Yes to questions about that.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

A traditional monthly pension from a former employer automatically includes your RMD, so you can answer Yes to questions about that.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
dcasr

Unfortunately the next Q was what % of the distribution was a RMD and I have no idea, and if I check 100% it then asks whether is was calculated using Simple or General. As A retired clergy person the pension amount is used for a Parsonage Allowance. How do I get around this?
dmertz
Level 15

The question about using the Simple Method or General Rule is unrelated indicating 100% of the distribution is RMD.  Indicating that it is all RMD simply prevents TurboTax from allowing you to report any of this distribution as having been rolled over to another retirement account.
shulman22

So how do I know I am correct if I follow the above? My pension plan admin doesn't know anything about this. So which is it - simple or general?
TomD8
Level 15

See this:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2963313-do-i-use-the-simplified-method-or-general-rule-to-explain-...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies