Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a taxed owed balance which is slightly more than the self-emploment tas I owe. Why doesn't my IRA contribution reduce this amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a taxed owed balance which is slightly more than the self-emploment tas I owe. Why doesn't my IRA contribution reduce this amount?

You pay two different types of tax if you are self-employed.  One tax is federal income tax, which is figured on your total income, and reduced by your IRA contribution. 

The other tax you pay is self-employment tax, which is figured on your net profit from Schedule C.  That money goes into your social security account until you reach retirement age. 

The federal income tax is figured with your IRA contribution reducing your total income to a taxable amount; the social security tax is figured only on your self-employment income. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You pay two different types of tax if you are self-employed.  One tax is federal income tax, which is figured on your total income, and reduced by your IRA contribution. 

The other tax you pay is self-employment tax, which is figured on your net profit from Schedule C.  That money goes into your social security account until you reach retirement age. 

The federal income tax is figured with your IRA contribution reducing your total income to a taxable amount; the social security tax is figured only on your self-employment income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies