Solved: I have a statement that that my SEP IRA was closed and $6K was deposited in a new ROTH IRA last year. Does this qualify for tax write off?

crescinitm

I have a statement that that my SEP IRA was closed and $6K was deposited in a new ROTH IRA last year. Does this qualify for tax write off?

IreneS

No - this is considered a conversion and does not qualify as an IRA contribution with tax benefits.

IreneS

crescinitm

Thanks!  I guess this means I have to make a deposit to an existing IRA account in the amount of $5,500 to get the tax write off?
IreneS

Yes - you're correct!
crescinitm

Thanks for your help.  Now I guess I figure out where in the TT page I'm supposed to put it in.