turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a settlement statement form and not the 1099-S. Where can I locate the Adjusted Basis of Home price?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

I have a settlement statement form and not the 1099-S. Where can I locate the Adjusted Basis of Home price?

The Adjusted Basis of the property is not on the settlement statement, you have to calculate that yourself.

Generally, the basis of real estate is the amount you paid for it. plus the cost of purchasing it (closing costs paid by you), plus any major improvements; and if the property was used for rental or business purposes, minus depreciation. 

If you inherited the property, the basis is its value on the date the owner passed away, plus any major improvements, and if the property was used for rental or business purposes, minus depreciation. 

If the property was given to you by someone still living, your basis is the same as their basis when they gave you the property. 

If you are reporting the sale of your home where you lived for at least two years, and it was never used for rental or business purposes, you probably won't have to pay taxes on your gain, so don't spend too much time worrying about the details of the basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies