Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a Roth IRA for more than 5 years. I can w/draw w/out penalty any amount that I’ve contributed. What form is needed during taxes to not be penalized 10% (I’m 53)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a Roth IRA for more than 5 years. I can w/draw w/out penalty any amount that I’ve contributed. What form is needed during taxes to not be penalized 10% (I’m 53)?

The withdrawal will be reported on the 1099-R you will receive from your financial institution. TurboTax will give you the opportunity to exclude the penalty. 

@eod-eric-expat just for clarification, CONTRIBUTIONS can always be distributed without tax and without the 10% penalty without meeting the 5 year requirement.  

The rule are (assumes under 59.5 years old):  

Roth opened less than 5 calendar years

Contribution: no penalty and no tax liability

Conversions*: 10% penalty and no tax liability

Earnings: 10% penalty and tax liability (exceptions apply to the 10% penalty)

Roth opened at least 5 calendar years

Contribution: no penalty and no tax liability

Conversions:  no penalty on contributions made at least 5 years ago; *10% penalty for contributions made in the last 5 years no tax liability

Earnings: 10% penalty and tax liability (exceptions apply to the 10% penalty)

dmertz
Level 15

When you enter the code-J Form 1099-R into TurboTax, TurboTax will ask you the amount of the contributions made for prior years.  After entering the Form 1099-R and your contribution basis, TurboTax will prepare Form 8606 Part III to calculate the taxable amount (which should be zero if your distributions were less that your contribution basis).  Only the taxable amount, if any, is subject to penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies