turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 2 W2s from the same employer and one of them has boxes 1-6 blank but has boxes 15-20 filled. How can I e-file in this situation?

I worked in 2 states (Colorado and NY) hence the 2 W2s. It looks like all my income is on one of the W2s (boxes 1-6 filled out) and the other W2 only has the tax section filled in (only boxes 15-20 filled in). Is it possible to just put $1 for box 1 of the W2 with empty box 1-6 so turbotax will let me e-file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

I have 2 W2s from the same employer and one of them has boxes 1-6 blank but has boxes 15-20 filled. How can I e-file in this situation?

Combine the information from the W2 with Boxes 15-20 filed out to the W2 that has entries in Boxes 1-6.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The other W2 already has those boxes filled in for the Colorado state income tax I owe. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

@TomK2023 is correct.  The second W-2 is only an extension of the first W-2.

• You will enter the information in boxes 1-14 as they appear on the first W-2.
  • You will then post all of the information from boxes 15-20 on separate lines.
  • You should have a line for both NY and a separate one for Colorado.
  • Box 17 (State Income Tax) is the state tax that was withheld, it may not be exactly what you owe.

Please contact us again with any additional questions and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies