Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

denise_sf

I have 1099r distribution from an annuity, but it was completely rolled over into an IRA.

It looks like it's listed as regular income. There is no where to indicate it rolled into an IRA (not a ROTH)
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

I have 1099r distribution from an annuity, but it was completely rolled over into an IRA.

The IRS requires that all distributions must be reported as income on your tax return.

If the 1099-R has a "G" in box 7 then the software automatically understands that it's a rollover.  The rollover is included in your total income, but it is not considered taxable income.     However, that does not mean that it is being taxed or that it affects your tax in any way. The screen shows all income both taxable and non-taxable. The distribution will show on your tax return with the word ROLLOVER next to it.  You have to check the actual 1040 return.  Line 16b is the taxable amount and it should say ROLLOVER by 16b (1040A line 12b). TurboTax will include the entire distribution on Form 1040 line 16a or Form 1040A line 12a but exclude the amount rolled over from the amount shown on line 16b or 12b. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Patrice

The IRS requires that all distributions must be reported as income on your tax return.

If the 1099-R has a "G" in box 7 then the software automatically understands that it's a rollover.  The rollover is included in your total income, but it is not considered taxable income.     However, that does not mean that it is being taxed or that it affects your tax in any way. The screen shows all income both taxable and non-taxable. The distribution will show on your tax return with the word ROLLOVER next to it.  You have to check the actual 1040 return.  Line 16b is the taxable amount and it should say ROLLOVER by 16b (1040A line 12b). TurboTax will include the entire distribution on Form 1040 line 16a or Form 1040A line 12a but exclude the amount rolled over from the amount shown on line 16b or 12b. 

wc6386
Returning Member

Hi,  I have similar situation.   Prudential  annuity's 1099-R shows "7" in BOX 7 which means "Normal Distribution" but the actual distributed check was sent and deposited to my Fidelity rollover account.  Fidelity has proof of check image and also sent me  5498 form and quarterly statement indicate amount match.   But, how can I enter it to Turbo Tax?

Enter the 1099-R in Federal > Wages and Income > Retirement.  There will be a follow up question asking about rollovers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies