Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joeqvu
Returning Member

I filed a 1099-NEC for a recipient and it's accepted by the IRS. The recipient just now informed me that the social security is incorrect. How do I correct this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I filed a 1099-NEC for a recipient and it's accepted by the IRS. The recipient just now informed me that the social security is incorrect. How do I correct this issue?

No problem.  You can use the documents attached below and simply mark the Corrected checkbox on Form 1099-NEC, at the top. You will file this by mail and the address is on Form 1096, transmittal.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
joeqvu
Returning Member

Since there's a chance that the social security number that I had used for the recipient is a valid social security number for someone else, do I need to "zero" out the amount that I reported for that incorrect social security number?  If that's the case, then would I just file a new 1099-NEC using the correct social security number?  This is what I wanted to confirm.

In addition, the instructions for the 1099-NEC form on that URL states this "Do not print and file copy A downloaded from this website; a penalty may be imposed for filing with the IRS information return forms that can’t be scanned."  Does this mean that I need to buy the forms from OfficeMax or Staples or get them from the IRS?

joeqvu
Returning Member

Hi DianeW77,

Thank you for your response & suggestion.

I called the IRS and they stated that I would need to file a new 1099-NEC with the correct social security number for the recipient.

As for the 1099-NEC that had the wrong social security number, it could very well be a valid social security number so I would need to file a 1099-NEC for that social security number and check the VOID box so that that 1099-NEC is voided.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies