Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdbandrmb

I entered my 1099-r which was coded for me to pay extra taxes it created a form 5329 which i need to in put a 72 t code on it not to pay extra tax how do i do it ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I entered my 1099-r which was coded for me to pay extra taxes it created a form 5329 which i need to in put a 72 t code on it not to pay extra tax how do i do it ?

Nowhere on the form, in the interview after the 1099-R summary screen.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Are you saying that the distribution was made as a series of substantially equal periodic payments calculated to comply with the regulations for being eligible for penalty exclusion under section 72(t)?  If so, when TurboTax indicates, "Let's See If We Can Lower Your Tax Bill,"  enter the amount in the Equal periodic payments box on the next page.  You can reach this by going to Other Tax Situations -> Additional Tax Payments -> Extra tax on early retirement withdrawals.
jdbandrmb

yes i aim getting distributions under 72 t but my 1099-r is coded for me to pay the extra and creaated a 5329 form witch shows that i will pay extra penalty where on the from do i put the 72 t  code so i dont have to pay the extra ?

Nowhere on the form, in the interview after the 1099-R summary screen.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
JRR716
Returning Member

I added the amount under equal and periodic payments, but it didnt reduce my tax debt.

Is there a software issue?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@JRR716  No, it just means that the system had already assumed you had received equal and periodic payments because of the way your 1099-R is coded.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies