turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did a backdoor Roth IRA in 2016. There is no income limit , yet your software keeps telling me I made too much money and must pay an annual penalty. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I did a backdoor Roth IRA in 2016. There is no income limit , yet your software keeps telling me I made too much money and must pay an annual penalty. How do I fix this?

If you made a backdoor Roth contribution, you didn't make a Roth contribution. A backdoor Roth is a Traditional IRA contribution which is converted to a Roth. In Turbo Tax, you enter your contribution as a Traditional IRA contribution that is nondeductible. You don't enter as a Roth IRA contribution, because that's not correct.

Step 1- Enter the nondeductible Traditional IRA contribution under Deductions and Credits- IRA contributions. This establishes basis on Form 8606.

Step 2- Enter the 1099-R showing the conversion from the Traditional IRA into the Roth.

If the conversion occurred in 2017, you won't have the Step 2 until next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

If you made a backdoor Roth contribution, you didn't make a Roth contribution. A backdoor Roth is a Traditional IRA contribution which is converted to a Roth. In Turbo Tax, you enter your contribution as a Traditional IRA contribution that is nondeductible. You don't enter as a Roth IRA contribution, because that's not correct.

Step 1- Enter the nondeductible Traditional IRA contribution under Deductions and Credits- IRA contributions. This establishes basis on Form 8606.

Step 2- Enter the 1099-R showing the conversion from the Traditional IRA into the Roth.

If the conversion occurred in 2017, you won't have the Step 2 until next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies