Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can’t pay for the processing and filing of my return because of form 5498-SA. May I drop this form from my return, so I can file for free?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I can’t pay for the processing and filing of my return because of form 5498-SA. May I drop this form from my return, so I can file for free?

Form 5498-SA is not reported on your tax return, it is only sent to you for informational purposes.

However, if you did contribute to a Health Savings Account during the year, then you do need to include that informaiton as part of your return.

The free edition does not support the forms that are required to be filed when there have been contributions made to a Health Savings Account (HSA).

If the employer contribution to your Health Savings Account (HSA) was included on your W-2 in box 12 with a code W, then when you file your return, the IRS will be expecting a corresponding Form 8889 as a part of your return to reconcile the contribution.  Not including this may trigger an audit.

Form 8889 includes information about contributions to your HSA as well as information about whether you were eligible to make a contribution to the HSA for the year.  There might be tax consequences on your return if all the requirements are not met and reconciled on Form 8889, which is why it is important to allow the correct TurboTax program to determine this.

@williamsperier

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies