Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shijiesun

I and my husband filing join federal return, but my husband retired and he lives in GA, I working in NJ and live in NJ. how to do our state tax will be get more return?

I and my husband filing join federal return, but my husband retired and he lives in GA, I working in NJ and live in NJ.  how to do our state tax will be get more return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Cindy0H

I and my husband filing join federal return, but my husband retired and he lives in GA, I working in NJ and live in NJ. how to do our state tax will be get more return?

This is complicated due to the rules of the states. The easiest way is to file Married Filing Separately for both federal and state. However, there are big tax consequences to that: higher tax rate and many credits are not available. 

According to both states, you can file federal Married Filing Jointly and then Married Filing separately for New Jersy and Virginia. To do that you must calculate income and exemptions as if a federal married, filing separate return had been filed.

New Jersey:

If you are married and file a joint federal return, you must also file a joint New Jersey return. If you file separate federal returns, you must also file separate State returns. If during the entire tax year one spouse was a resident and the other a nonresident, the resident can file a separate New Jersey return. The resident calculates income and exemptions as if a federal married, filing separate return had been filed. You have the option of filing a joint return, but in that case, your joint income would be taxed as if you both were residents.

Georgia:

If one spouse is a resident and the other is a nonresident without any Georgia-source income, your Georgia return may be filed jointly or separately with each spouse claiming the appropriate exemptions and deductions.

If you have more questions about this, ask in the comment below.

[Edited 03.25.19|11:22am PST]

shijiesun

Thank you for reply!
but my husband lives in GEORGIA not in Virginia, is the same way to do for Georgia instead of Virginia?

Thanks!
Cindy0H

Oops...let me look it up.
Cindy0H

[Edited 03.25.19|11:22am PST]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies