Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

notehead

I am self employed (sole proprietor). Is the deductible amount for a traditional (or Roth) IRA affected by a SEP contribution (and vice versa)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I am self employed (sole proprietor). Is the deductible amount for a traditional (or Roth) IRA affected by a SEP contribution (and vice versa)?

Only to the extent that your SEP contribution reduces your eligible compensation available to support a personal IRA contribution.  This would only be an issue if maximized your SEP contribution and your net profit from self employment was less than $7,398 (under age 50) or $8,743 (age 50 or over).

The SEP contribution does not count toward the $5,500 ($6,500 with catch-up) limit for personal IRA contributions. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Only to the extent that your SEP contribution reduces your eligible compensation available to support a personal IRA contribution.  This would only be an issue if maximized your SEP contribution and your net profit from self employment was less than $7,398 (under age 50) or $8,743 (age 50 or over).

The SEP contribution does not count toward the $5,500 ($6,500 with catch-up) limit for personal IRA contributions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies