Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

warnercnc

I am retired and i started a small buisness in 2022. Should i claim small buisness start up costs? Does that mess with my social security i did not make any money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I am retired and i started a small buisness in 2022. Should i claim small buisness start up costs? Does that mess with my social security i did not make any money?

Yes, you can claim Startup Costs.

A start-up cost is recoverable if it meets both of the following requirements:

• It's a cost a business could deduct if they paid or incurred it to operate an existing active trade or business, in the same field as the one the business entered into.
  • It's a cost a business pays or incurs before the day their active trade or business begins.

Start-up costs include amounts paid for the following:

• An analysis or survey of potential markets, products, labor supply, transportation facilities, etc.
  • Advertisements for the opening of the business.
  • Salaries and wages for employees who are being trained and their instructors.
  • Travel and other necessary costs for securing prospective distributors, suppliers, or customers.
  • Salaries and fees for executives and consultants, or for similar professional services.

Here’s how businesses can deduct startup costs from their federal taxes⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠. 

No, it will not mess with your Social Security.  

• However, as you start to make substantial profits, it could trigger a tax on your Social Security.  
  • In addition, as your business becomes profitable it will trigger the Self-Employment tax plus tax on income tax on the profits.  
  • The self-employment tax rate is 15.3%. That rate is the sum of 12.4% for Social Security and 2.9% for Medicare. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies