Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

320IP

I am resident of CO and worked as nonres in GA. Turbotax is asking me to file my pension and SS payments as a nonres in GA. This is not correct. I only earned 48k there.

My W2 from the GA employer is the only income I earned there. Nothing else on my Federal Taxes should apply to GA. How can I correct this in the program so that it reflects more accurately what was earned and thus taxed in GA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am resident of CO and worked as nonres in GA. Turbotax is asking me to file my pension and SS payments as a nonres in GA. This is not correct. I only earned 48k there.

When you do the Georgia interview, you should make sure that you are doing it as a non-resident.

During the interview, there will be a number of screens entitled "Georgia Part-Year and Nonresidents". Each of these screens ask you to allocate various types of income to Georgia or the other state. 

The screen that refers to 

"Taxable Social Security Benefits
Pension/Annuity and IRA/SEP Distributions"

will allow you to make this adjustment.

P.S. make sure to do the non-resident state (GA) first in TurboTax, before your home state.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When you do the Georgia interview, you should make sure that you are doing it as a non-resident.

During the interview, there will be a number of screens entitled "Georgia Part-Year and Nonresidents". Each of these screens ask you to allocate various types of income to Georgia or the other state. 

The screen that refers to 

"Taxable Social Security Benefits
Pension/Annuity and IRA/SEP Distributions"

will allow you to make this adjustment.

P.S. make sure to do the non-resident state (GA) first in TurboTax, before your home state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies