Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pingdu

My turbo tax return can't pass final review, Check This Entry Forms W-2 & W-2G Summary: Elective deferrals - $21602. is more than the allowed $18500 for a 401k plans.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

46 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

My turbo tax return can't pass final review, Check This Entry Forms W-2 & W-2G Summary: Elective deferrals - $21602. is more than the allowed $18500 for a 401k plans.

TurboTax is aware of the e-filing issue that you are having and is currently working on a solution. An update to fix the issue is expected to be released around 4/5/2019.  

Be sure to sign up for updates to be alerted as soon as there is a solution.  If you do not want to wait for an update, you have the option to paper file your tax returns as this is only an e-filing issue.

You can check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing.

If you haven't done so already, you should click here and follow these instructions to include your excess deferral as wages on your return: Including excess 401(k) contribution on Line 1 of Form 1040.

Is the update releasing tomorrow?
ivy-rose

I am wondering the same thing.

I am waiting too

Got an email today at 11:30AM EST saying it has been resolved, but the update is not available at 1:47PM EST.

Issue is still not resolved. Automatic Updates did not download this issue so I manually downloaded the update but still did not fix the issue. Can I still go ahead and e-file the application with this error.
ivy-rose

It wouldn't let me efile, said I had to file by mail.
mick
Level 3

I am having the same problem. I've waited for today's update to fix this problem yet it is NOT fixed. The error persists at the final check and I can not eFile. Then I noticed the disclaimer at the bottom of the Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing FAQ link above: "Unfortunately,  customers who had excess 401(k) contributions withheld will need to paper-file, even after taking the corrective steps."

Please tell me this is not true?

(Seems Intuit can still take my $24.99 although will not allow me to file my state or fed)

Come on......

I checked the last update was 4/3, not 4/5.  Was it updated on 4/5?

I checked the last update was 4/3, not 4/5.  Was it updated on 4/5?

I agree, Intuit is quick on taking money but yet cannot fix this efiling issue.
ivy-rose

Agree.  They won’t refund a dime either, claiming you are paying for the preparation and not the efile.
vedaram

Will Turbo Tax be working on this issue through the weekend? Paper Filing is a HUGE hassle. I have to file 2 state returns and 1 federal return. This means I cannot even E-file the state returns because I am paper filing the federal return. This is absolutely ridiculous that a huge company like Turbo Tax in Silicon Valley, no doubt, can't fix this. Get it together, PLEASE

So only choice is paper filing for Fed.  What about state?  Can I efile NY, NJ state tax ?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies