Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mskenzie6

My W-2 form shows that nothing has been withheld on either the Federal, State, Local levels (nothing has been withheld anywhere). Do I still need do taxes/file for returns?

I have made less than $2,000 and I'm a dependent on my parents. Some people say not to bother with filing taxes , but I still feel that I need to. Also, my W-2 form shows that nothing has been withheld on either the Federal, State, or Local levels (or any other possible levels). Do I still need do taxes/file for returns?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My W-2 form shows that nothing has been withheld on either the Federal, State, Local levels (nothing has been withheld anywhere). Do I still need do taxes/file for returns?

A dependent is not required to file a tax return if there is only earned income (from working) less than $6,300 but if taxes were withheld (Box 2 W2) and a tax return is filed, the withholding will be refunded. Since you did not have taxes withheld, you do not need to file a federal return.  Which state are you in?  Most states you are not required to file, but if you add the state as a comment, I can look it up to be sure.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mskenzie6

I am a resident of Virginia, but I go to College in New York, and all of my income came from my campus job (NY).

Thanks, you are not required to file for New York or Virginia.  There are times when you should file even if you are not required, but in your case (because you are in college) there really is not any reason to file.
mskenzie6

Okay, thank you so much! Have a fantastic night!

You too!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies