Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How/where do I report a money obtained from a court settlement ( www.oppenheimercalmunilitigation.com ) related to our retirement funds?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How/where do I report a money obtained from a court settlement ( www.oppenheimercalmunilitigation.com ) related to our retirement funds?

That depends on what the settlement was for.  What kind of wrongdoing was alleged how were you damaged, does the settlement contain interest as well as damaged, and so on.

So apparently the lawsuit alleged that the fund earned less money than it should have (or lost money), due to improper decisions made by the fund managers.  Do you agree?

Did you own this fund inside a qualified retirement plan, like a 401(k), 403(b), IRA, or some other instrument? Or did you own the fund on its own as part of your investment portfolio but not in a qualified plan?

1) I agree.

2) My wife inherited her parent's retirement funds one is an IRA.  We cannot add funds to either.  Both accounts retirement account inherited upon death, both are investing in the same financial instrument.

I assume the payout ( < $2000) is taxable income as are other distributions related to these funds.
I'm looking to confidently report in the proper location.

If it's from an IRA, then the proceeds of the IRA would be taxable as ordinary income (not investment income) when paid.  That means the settlement funds should also be listed as taxable ordinary income, not investment proceeds.  I would list them as "other income" in the section for "other uncommon income" or "miscellaneous income".  I'm not sure what categories Turbotax lists, but they should all pretty much end up in the same place on the tax form.  See what choices it gives you.

Go to Miscellaneous income and pick the very bottom item, other reportable income.  Settlements is one of the choices.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies