Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report the 1099-R of 2020, if the TurboTax Home and business does not contain an update, what did I buy?

I received a 1099-R in 2020 to distribute in 3 years, I bought the TurboTax and it does not contain an update for this. How do I report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

How to report the 1099-R of 2020, if the TurboTax Home and business does not contain an update, what did I buy?

If you are referring to the 2020 COVID distribution filed on Form 8915-E on your 2020 tax return then you will need Form 8915-F to report the 2021 allocated amount. But Form isn't ready in TurboTax yet. Please check  IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products for updates.

Once the section is available follow these steps to report any further tax to be paid or any repayment:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. If you do not have any 2021 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2021?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Your 1099-R Entries” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020" screen

Please be aware, you’ll have three years to pay back the funds you withdrew, without the amount impacting that year’s cap on contributions. If you pay back the amount within that time, you’ll be able to claim a refund on those taxes paid when you file an amended tax return. Please see IRS Coronavirus-related relief for retirement plans and IRAs for more details.

Example from the IRS:

If, for example, you receive a coronavirus-related distribution in 2020, you choose to include the distribution amount in income over a 3-year period (2020, 2021, and 2022), and you choose to repay the full amount to an eligible retirement plan in 2022, you may file amended federal income tax returns for 2020 and 2021 to claim a refund of the tax attributable to the amount of the distribution that you included in income for those years, and you will not be required to include any amount in income in 2022.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies