Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CDM523
Returning Member

How to Report Excess Roth IRA contribution in TurboTax

I contributed fully allowable amount for 2022 Roth IRA ($6500). While filing 2022 taxes I found out that i was ineligible to contribute to Roth IRA due to income limit threshold. I recharacterized the amount (+ earnings on it) in April 2023 (before the tax filing deadline (orig amt + earnings) as 2023 Roth IRA contribution. I reported the earnings ($140) as income in my 2022 tx return with explanation note that it was the earning from excess Roth contribution. I entered the amount even though I did not receive any 1099-R from the custodian (Fidelity) in 2022 and paid tax on it.

Now in 2023, I received 1099-R from Fidelity for that withdrawal. Since I am under below retirement age, it was labeled as early distribution (code J in box 7) along with code P (in Box 7) indicating that excess contributions and earnings were taxable in 2022. 

Am I supposed to include this 1099-R in my 1040 for 2023? Would including it add the earnings ($140) to my income and assess tax on it? Or should I omit it completely? TurboTax already downloaded it from the Fidelity, along with my 1099-INT & 1099-DIV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

How to Report Excess Roth IRA contribution in TurboTax

No, if you already entered a 2023 Form 1099-R with codes P and J to report the earnings when you filed your 2022 tax return then you will not need to amend the 2022 tax return.

You don't need to delete the 2023 Form 1099-R with code P and J from your 2023 return since the code P will tell TurboTax to ignore the income on your 2023 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies