Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report capital gain from an early withdrawal under the Roth IRA account without 1099-B?

Hello TTLC community:

If I have done an early withdrawal from the Roth IRA account with a gain (short-term capital gain + interest), how do I report this in my tax return?

My story is a bit complicated, I’ve made a mistake of recharacterizing an after-tax IRA contribution of $6,000 for 2021 in May 2022, after I filed my 2021 return on Apr 18, 2022. The initial non-deductible IRA contribution was done on Apr 14, 2022, right before the tax due date.

Not realizing my mistake until Sep 2023, I pulled out all the money, including gains, from Roth IRA; however, this happened before the extended 2022 tax due date (IRS automatically extended for CA residents due to natural disasters). 

The total amount I pulled out was $6,237.76, including $214.98 of short-term capital gain and $22.78 of interest. However, I did not receive any 1099-B form for the short-term capital gain because the transactions happened under the Roth IRA account.

Here’s my questions:

I know because of the early distribution from the Roth IRA, I’ll have to pay income tax for the gain ($237.76).

Do I report this manually in Form 8949 for the transactions even though I did not receive any 1099-B from the custodian?  But if I put it in 8949, will I end up being double taxed?

Or it’ll be calculated when I report the 1099-R for the Roth IRA account?

I do receive a 2023 1099-R (Box 1: $6,237.76, Box 2a: blank, Box 2b: Taxable amount not determined checked, Box 7: J) this year.

I think I need to manually update the Box 2a as $237.76 and then Box 3 as $214.98 (capital gain), is this correct?

Thank you very much for your help! Really appreciate it!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

How to report capital gain from an early withdrawal under the Roth IRA account without 1099-B?

You have it exactly right - update 2a to $238 and box 3 to $215.  That will tax the proper amount and charge you a penalty on the $238 withdrawal.

@evanku 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You have it exactly right - update 2a to $238 and box 3 to $215.  That will tax the proper amount and charge you a penalty on the $238 withdrawal.

@evanku 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much @RobertB4444, appreciate your reply and confirmation!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies