Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter rollover into 401k after moving to traditional IRA?

Hello,

I had a "deferred vesting retirement plan" with an educational institution at TIAA that hiked up plan management rates. To avoid paying those rates I rolled that money (~$450) over into my TIAA traditional IRA in March 2023. While hanging out in the traditional IRA, it gained some cap gains, and eventually I rolled that entire amount (then $456) to my employer provided 401k at Fidelity. However, since the money moved to another institution, TIAA shows its statement to me as "cashed out". Fidelity shows the same $456 as a "rollover", as they got the check from TIAA directly (no check was ever sent to me personally).

I have two TIAA 1099-Rs: (1) with box 1 = $450, box 2a = $0, Distr. code = G, IRA/SIMPLE box not checked, (2) with box 1 = $456, box 2a = $0 , Distr. code = G, IRA/SIMPLE box checked.

When I follow Turbotax with entering these 1099-Rs separately, I never get to "Tell us if you moved the money through a rollover or conversion" so that I could indicate the $456 were moved into a 401k. I also see no other option to show that the $450 were rolled over into a traditional IRA. Currently, it looks like I have a $906 income from these two forms, but it's really the same $450-ish bucks that moved from one retirement account to another. How do I enter this correctly?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The code G in box 7 means that the distribution is a rollover to a qualified plan, so it shouldn't show as taxable on your return, as mentioned by @dmertz. That may be why you don't see any questions regarding the rollover. You can look on line 4(b) or 5(b) of your Form 1040 to confirm that the distribution is not showing as taxable on your return. It will show in box 4(a) or 5(a), but if it is not taxable it won't show in box 4(b) or 5(b).

To view your form 1040 and schedule 1 to 3:

1. Choose Tax Tools from your left menu bar in TurboTax Online
  2. Choose Tools
  3. Choose View Tax Summary
  4. See the Preview my 1040 option in the left menu bar and click on it
  5. Choose the Back option in the left menu bar when you are done 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Code G indicates a direct rollover, which is what was performed in each case, so all you need to do is make sure that you answer No to any questions asking if you moved the money to any kind of Roth account.  TurboTax will then automatically treat these as nontaxable rollovers.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The code G in box 7 means that the distribution is a rollover to a qualified plan, so it shouldn't show as taxable on your return, as mentioned by @dmertz. That may be why you don't see any questions regarding the rollover. You can look on line 4(b) or 5(b) of your Form 1040 to confirm that the distribution is not showing as taxable on your return. It will show in box 4(a) or 5(a), but if it is not taxable it won't show in box 4(b) or 5(b).

To view your form 1040 and schedule 1 to 3:

1. Choose Tax Tools from your left menu bar in TurboTax Online
  2. Choose Tools
  3. Choose View Tax Summary
  4. See the Preview my 1040 option in the left menu bar and click on it
  5. Choose the Back option in the left menu bar when you are done 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you both, @dmertz and @tho ! I will finalize my return and check the lines as suggested. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies