turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter for car donation

I donated my old car to a charity car organization for base value of $500. But they auctioned it for $1250.  

Q1: where do I report this deduction? Is it part of charity donation?

Q2: can I deduct the $1250 or just $500 standard value?  The charity said that they need my social security number to issue me a tax form but I did not provide them for my own security safty.  They do have sent me email about the auction price.  Can I deduct $1250?

Thank you for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You can deduct $1250 as a charitable donation if you itemize. 

I tried this in turbotax for $1250.  Now turbotax instructs me to file my tax return along with the 1098 form.  However, I don't have such form. All I have is a letter from the car charity stating the value of the auction and requesting us to send it my social security for this form.  I don't want to give away my SS# and so I don't have such form.  

Is there anyway in turbotax to state that I don't have 1098 but I have evident of the new donation value.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS, "A donee organization must file a separate Form 1098-C with the IRS for each contribution of a qualified vehicle that has a claimed value of more than $500. 

A qualified vehicle is:

• Any motor vehicle manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
  • A boat.
  • An airplane"

In order to be issued the 1098 C, it must have a social security number of the doner. No exceptions!!

About Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DatBio wrote:

I tried this in turbotax for $1250.  Now turbotax instructs me to file my tax return along with the 1098 form.  However, I don't have such form. All I have is a letter from the car charity stating the value of the auction and requesting us to send it my social security for this form.  I don't want to give away my SS# and so I don't have such form.  

Is there anyway in turbotax to state that I don't have 1098 but I have evident of the new donation value.

Sorry.  To claim a donation value on a used vehicle of more than $500, it is mandatory that you get a form 1098-C from the donee organization certifying certain information, and include it with your tax return.  (If you e-file, you must still mail the 1098-C to the IRS after your return is accepted.)  And they need your name and SSN to issue the form.  

Thank you all!  I will just take the $500 deduction instead. It is worth it not to give my SSN to the charity. Identy Theft is so very common these days.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies