Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GW99

How to answer Turbo Tax's question about RMD as a beneficiary on an inherited IRA

My mother passed away in 2023.   Her RMD for the year was around $29,000.  At the time of death she had taken around $20,000 of her RMD, leaving $9,000 to still be taken.   Her IRA had 3 beneficiaries - her spouse (90%), me (5%), and my sister (5%).    I set up an Inherited IRA with my portion and I also instructed my advisor to process a $450 RMD for me (5% of the 9K left to take) so that I was taking my share of the remaining RMD.     

I am now doing my taxes and am a little confused on how to answer some of the questions in the Turbo Tax tool that is walking me through this part.   I have already told it that the IRA was inherited and that the $450 that I took was an RMD.   Now it is asking me for more information, and specifically these are the 3 questions:

1. {My Name} received all the RMD for 2023
  2. {My Name} did not receive all the RMD for 2023
  3. {My Name} was not required to take an RMD for 2023

Initially I thought the answer was 2, but when you pick that it takes you in to reporting as if you failed to take the whole RMD and need to ask the IRS for forgiveness.   But I took my share.   So now I am thinking maybe the answer is 1?   It seems weird because of course I did not receive the entire $29,000 RMD that was due for my mom.   But at least for my part of the inherited IRA, I took and received my entire portion ($450)?  Is that what #1 is saying?   I am leaning towards answering 1, but wanted some advice.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How to answer Turbo Tax's question about RMD as a beneficiary on an inherited IRA

Yes, that's correct.  Choose 1, you received all the RMD for 2023.

The IRS has no knowledge of your mom's required RMD amount, and who should get it.  They rely on the Plan Administrators to keep track. 

Here's more info on RMD's.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, that's correct.  Choose 1, you received all the RMD for 2023.

The IRS has no knowledge of your mom's required RMD amount, and who should get it.  They rely on the Plan Administrators to keep track. 

Here's more info on RMD's.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Actually, it's the responsibility of the beneficiaries to coordinate among themselves to complete the year-of-death RMD, not the responsibility of the IRA custodian.  Absent such coordination meant to ensure that the RMD has been satisfied by some combination of distributions by beneficiaries, it's reasonable to consider that your portion of that responsibility has been satisfied by you taking a distribution to your proportionate share of the remaining RMD and that with respect to your tax return, you have received all of the RMD for 2023.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies