Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The amount I entered from form 1099-R 2a does NOT match what Turbo Tax shows on line 16B of 1040. The amount is $3,000 off. Why is this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The amount I entered from form 1099-R 2a does NOT match what Turbo Tax shows on line 16B of 1040. The amount is $3,000 off. Why is this?

As a retired Public Safety Officer, you are allowed to deduct up to $3,000 of medical premiums paid from your retirement income.  $3,000 is the maximum amount that you may deduct and the entry appears on Line 16b of your Form 1040 as an adjustment to your taxable retirement income.

There is a question in the 1099-R interview which asks if you are a retired Public Safety Officer.  If you answer "Yes" the interview will follow up by asking if your employer took money out of your pension for health insurance.  If you answer "Yes" again, the software will inquire how much was taken.  This is where your deduction originated.

Thank you for your service.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

As a retired Public Safety Officer, you are allowed to deduct up to $3,000 of medical premiums paid from your retirement income.  $3,000 is the maximum amount that you may deduct and the entry appears on Line 16b of your Form 1040 as an adjustment to your taxable retirement income.

There is a question in the 1099-R interview which asks if you are a retired Public Safety Officer.  If you answer "Yes" the interview will follow up by asking if your employer took money out of your pension for health insurance.  If you answer "Yes" again, the software will inquire how much was taken.  This is where your deduction originated.

Thank you for your service.

How is this addressed for 2018? Can't find any question on PSO and health insurance.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies