turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeffreysak
Returning Member

How is a corrected RMD amount reported in the next tax year?

In 2017, my RMD was short $5,500 and I corrected it by instructing the IRA custodian to distribute that amount on 1/22/18.  I filed Form 5329 with my Form 1040 and the IRS waived the penalty.  The issue I now face is that the 1099-R I received for 2018 obviously includes this $5,500 that is associated with the 2017 RMD.  If I include the full amount shown on the 2018 1099-R, then I will be paying tax on an amount I already paid tax on in 2017.  What is the correct way to report this issue?  My thought is that if I reduce the "Taxable Amount" (Box 2b) by the $5,500 it will provide the correct and equitable result, but I'm concerned it will raise red flags if the 1099-R does not match what is reported to the IRS.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You did not pay tax on the RMD in 2017. It was not included in your 1099-R for 2017 because you did not take the distribution in 2017. You report the full taxable amount on your 2018 1099-R, and pay the tax on your 2018 tax return. You cannot reduce the taxable amount on your 2018 1099-R.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

"I will be paying tax on an amount I already paid tax on in 2017..."   How did you pay tax in 2017 if you did not take the RMD until 2018?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jeffreysak
Returning Member

OK that makes sense.  My thought was that by filing Form 5329 with my 2017 Form 1040 that I was reporting that tax was due on the $5,500 shortfall of the 2017 RMD.  But that's not what happened as Form 5329 is only used to request a waiver of the penalty and did not include the $5,500 in taxable income.  Is my understanding correct?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, that is correct. If line 54 of Form 5329 is zero, nothing was added to your taxable income.
jeffreysak
Returning Member

A pretty silly question now that I think about it.  Thanks for setting me straight.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You did not pay tax on the RMD in 2017. It was not included in your 1099-R for 2017 because you did not take the distribution in 2017. You report the full taxable amount on your 2018 1099-R, and pay the tax on your 2018 tax return. You cannot reduce the taxable amount on your 2018 1099-R.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The 1099-R reports only distributions that were actually taken in the year that the 1099-R is for. It does not include distributions that should have been taken, but were not. Your RMD is not automatically included in your 1099-R just because it's required. It is only included when you actually take the distribution.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies