turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brbohall

How do I report a number where the sum of Roth IRA contributions prior to 2018 is less than the sum of Roth IRA distributions prior to 2018?

I have had a Roth IRA account since 1998.  The annual growth and Traditional IRA conversion have kept the Roth IRA in a positive balance even though distributions have been taken.  

Since a recommended document retention is for 7 years, I do not have all the information needed to make this entry which asks for contribution information back to 1998.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

How do I report a number where the sum of Roth IRA contributions prior to 2018 is less than the sum of Roth IRA distributions prior to 2018?

The answer is $0.  If you've already made distributions from your Roth IRAs of more than your original contributions to Roth IRAs, you basis in Roth IRA contributions has already been reduced to zero.  Once your basis in Roth IRA contributions was reduced to zero, your distributions begin to reduce your conversion basis, oldest conversions first.  If your total distributions prior to 2018 have exceeded the total of your Roth contributions and conversions prior to 2018, both your contribution basis and your conversion basis have already been reduced to zero.

If you were age 59½ or over, your Roth IRA distributions are qualified distributions, automatically tax and penalty free, so TurboTax does not need to know your basis since no Form 8606 needs to be prepared.  If you were under age 59½, the entire distribution is taxable if you have no basis remaining.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

The answer is $0.  If you've already made distributions from your Roth IRAs of more than your original contributions to Roth IRAs, you basis in Roth IRA contributions has already been reduced to zero.  Once your basis in Roth IRA contributions was reduced to zero, your distributions begin to reduce your conversion basis, oldest conversions first.  If your total distributions prior to 2018 have exceeded the total of your Roth contributions and conversions prior to 2018, both your contribution basis and your conversion basis have already been reduced to zero.

If you were age 59½ or over, your Roth IRA distributions are qualified distributions, automatically tax and penalty free, so TurboTax does not need to know your basis since no Form 8606 needs to be prepared.  If you were under age 59½, the entire distribution is taxable if you have no basis remaining.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies