Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How Do I Get TurboTax to Register the After-Tax Contribution to My 401K Rolled Over to Roth IRA (a so-called "Mega Back Door Roth Contribution")?

TurboTax is not registering my after-tax contribution to my I-401K-Regular.

My I-401K was empty.

I put $10,919 in as an "employer", after-tax, contribution.   I have an LLC with pass through taxation to me individually so I paid income tax on this amount prior to its contribution.

Now when I try to enter my 1099-R which Vanguard provided, I cannot get TurboTax to register the after-tax contribution.

On my 1099-G

1.  My Box 1 Gross Distribution is $10919

2.  My Box 2a Taxable Amount is $10919 ( Vanguard says they have to list it this way because they don't keep track of whether "Employer contributions" are post-tax or pre-tax.  Very frustrating.)

3.  Box 5 is empty (Again, Vanguard says they have to list it this way for the reason above).

4.  Box 7 is G

When I enter it into TurboTax, TurboTax asks:

1. Was this money rolled over to a Roth IRA?   I say "yes".

2.  Did I make after-tax contributions to my 401K?   I say "yes".

3.  A screen comes up asking the list the amount of the after-tax contribution?  I enter "$10,919".

But it still assesses me tax as though the rollover was of a pre-tax contribution.  

It thus appears not to be registering that the after-tax contribution should register as non-taxable in the rollover to Roth.

How do I get it to register that this is after-tax funds and thus should not be taxed again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

How Do I Get TurboTax to Register the After-Tax Contribution to My 401K Rolled Over to Roth IRA (a so-called "Mega Back Door Roth Contribution")?

Employers are not permitted to make after-tax contributions.  Since this was an employer contribution, its was pre-tax.

The IRS deems it "profit-sharing" and because the tax on profits passes through directly to me, it's after-tax. 

This strategy is called the "Mega Back Door Roth" because it is after-tax by the owner of a business without employees.

dmertz
Level 15

The employer takes a deduction for an employer contribution, making it pre-tax.  (If the employer fails to take the deduction, that's simply a mistake on the employer's tax return.  Such a mistake does not make it after-tax.)  Employer contributions such as profit-sharing contributions are compensation to the employee on which the employee has not yet paid taxes.

As I said, employers are not permitted to make after-tax contributions.  Employer contributions that are not deductible are subject to penalty.

The taxable amount on the Form 1099-R provided by Vanguard is correct.

Mega-backdoor Roths involve after-tax employee contributions from compensation paid to the employee, not employer contributions.

Again, this is a pass-through entity (i.e. all income is "passed through" to the owner as income on which s/he pays tax).  There is no deduction at the entity (or employer) level.  Full ordinary income tax is paid on it by the LLC owner.

This is a common strategy for owners of pass-through entities such as LLC, S-Corp, and Partnership owners.

Please do not comment when you are unfamiliar with the topic. 

dmertz
Level 15

I'm quite familiar with the topic.  I've added to my previous reply indicating that the mega-backdoor Roth involves after-tax employee contributions, not employer contributions.  Employer contributions are deducted on the employer's tax return (in the case of a partner in a partnership, on the partner's individual tax return as a pass-through deduction).

Please do not comment when you are unfamiliar with the topic. 

User @dmertz IS an expert in this area and has studied  the actual tax laws and has much more knowledge about this than do most financial institutions or tax professionals.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies