Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file a substitute 1099-R?

I executed my annual 2023 RMD from an inherited ROTH IRA on 12/29/2023. However, the transaction did not settle until 01/02/2024. When I contacted my financial institution, they instructed me to submit a Form 5329 to explain the situation to the IRS and to allow the RMD to post in 2023. Need help figuring out how to do this in TT.  Where do I access form 5329?  Is this the correct form for this situation?  How do I enter a 'substitute' form 1099-R?   Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Form 5329 is the form to assess a penalty and request an exception for not taking RMD.  

You can report a 'substitute 1099-R' as you suggested, and indicate that the distribution is 'all RMD' and you will not be liable for any penalty or need Form 5329. 

Type '1099-R' in the Search area, then 'Jump to 1099'r' or scroll down to Retirement Plans & Social Security under Wages & Income. 

Reach out to your financial institution for their Federal ID number, so that you can Efile.

Use Code Q in Box 7 to indicate a 'qualified Roth distribution'.  There is no indication that a distribution is RMD on the form 1099-R. 

Here's more info on RMD's for Inherited IRA's.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You @MarilynG1  for your helpful reply.  As a follow up, I will be submitting a 'substitute 1099-R'.  However, as the RMD distribution officially posted on 1/02/2024 (despite being executed on 12/29/2023) my financial institution, Vanguard, assigned the RMD to 2024. Would it make sense that I would also need to submit a form 5329  to explain the situation and to 'request an exception for not taking the RMD' in 2023 ??  

And if I do opt to submit a form 5329, where / how do I access in TT ?  Appreciate your thoughts on the topic !

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No. Report that you received the RMD in 2023, if you did have a RMD requirement.  Report this in the manner MarilynG1 described and request another RMD distribution in 2024 so that you will meet the RMD requirement for 2024. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies