turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

otoubia

How do I enter form 1099-OID on my kids' returns (income from their UTMA accounts). In particular, Box 1 and Box 8. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter form 1099-OID on my kids' returns (income from their UTMA accounts). In particular, Box 1 and Box 8. Thanks.

• Click on Federal in the left column
  • Click on Wages & Income
  • Scroll to Interest and Dividends, click on Show more if necessary
  • Click on the button beside 1099-OID, Foreign Accounts
  • Indicate that you received Form 1099-OID (and any others that apply)
  • Indicate that you did receive OID
  • You can try to import the 1099-OID or you can click on "I'll type it in myself"
  • Enter the information as it appears on your Form 1099-OID
  • Indicate if any of the uncommon situations apply
  • Click Done

View solution in original post

9 Replies

• Click on Federal in the left column
  • Click on Wages & Income
  • Scroll to Interest and Dividends, click on Show more if necessary
  • Click on the button beside 1099-OID, Foreign Accounts
  • Indicate that you received Form 1099-OID (and any others that apply)
  • Indicate that you did receive OID
  • You can try to import the 1099-OID or you can click on "I'll type it in myself"
  • Enter the information as it appears on your Form 1099-OID
  • Indicate if any of the uncommon situations apply
  • Click Done

otoubia

Thank you for the answer. The issue is that the software does not seem to create a separate return for my son. Instead, I am asked to enter my Child's Interest Income under "Child's Income (Under Age 24)" under "Your income and expenses" on my return. There, the options are "Interest from Banks, Savings&Loans, and Credit Unions" and "Interest from US Bonds, T-Bills, etc. (Nontaxable to State)" Then I am offered "Adjustments to Interest Income" options, that include "Original Issue Discount Adjustment (Enter as Negative if Adding)," as well as "Tax-exempt Interest" options, but I can't see any option to import form 1099-OID. Thank you.

It looks like your choice would have to be entering the OID income as a negative Adjustment to Interest Income on your own return.
otoubia

Thank you so much. My son's 1099-OID form includes both non-US treasury (box 1) and US treasury obligations (box 8). Should I add these two up and enter the sum in the OID income, or only one of them? Thanks again.

I would report the US Treasury amount as Interest from US Bonds, T-Bills, etc.  Then report the Non-US Treasury as OID.

Did you create a separate account for your son?  You can use the same e-mail and even the same password but you would have to use a unique User ID.
otoubia

Thank you so much, that is very helpful!
otoubia

I did not create unique accounts for my son, no. I was given the option to enter their income within my account. Maybe I'll try to create separate accounts instead.

You can try that - if you decide not to use the separate returns, you can simply not file them.  If you do file separate returns, be sure to delete the information you entered in your own return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies