Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a QCD in 2022 Premium Online? The 1099-R TurboTax interview doesn't give me the charity deduction questions that all the entries in Help refer to.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

How do I enter a QCD in 2022 Premium Online? The 1099-R TurboTax interview doesn't give me the charity deduction questions that all the entries in Help refer to.

Make sure you did a qualified charitable distribution (QCD). The distribution has to be from an IRA and made directly by the trustee of the IRA to a qualified charity. A QCD reduces the amount of your IRA distribution that you are required to recognize as income.

• You must be at least 70 1/2 years old on the day of the distribution. The maximum amount that may be contributed is limited to $100,000. The qualifications and limitations are applied separately to each spouse on a joint return.

Because the QCD reduces your taxable income, you can’t also claim a charitable deduction for these same donations, if you itemize, since this would be double-dipping.

To enter your qualified charitable distribution (QCD):

1.  Sign into your TurboTax Account
  2. Click on Continue where I left off
  3. On the left side screen, select Federal then Wages & Income
  4. On the Wages & Income screen, scroll to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) and click on Edit/Add
  5. If you come to the Review your 1099-R info screen, Edit the 1099-R that relates to your QCD.
  6. Continue with the onscreen interview.
  7. On the Do any of these situations apply to you? screen, select I transferred all or part of this money directly to charity.
  8. Continue with the onscreen interview until complete. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies