turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcogginj

How can I get the TurboTax to recognize 1099 ministerial income as exempt from SE tax due to 4361 exepmtion?

I have a 4361 exemption for ministerial income. But TurboTax figured Self-Employment Tax for income reported on 1099s. How can I adjust this to noe be liable for SE tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

How can I get the TurboTax to recognize 1099 ministerial income as exempt from SE tax due to 4361 exepmtion?

If you received a 1099MISC for your clergy income, you will need to enter the business code of 813000.  A few screens after entering this business code, on the screen Clergy and Recognized Religious Sects, you need to click that you are exempt from self-employment tax and that you have filed Form 4361,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you received a 1099MISC for your clergy income, you will need to enter the business code of 813000.  A few screens after entering this business code, on the screen Clergy and Recognized Religious Sects, you need to click that you are exempt from self-employment tax and that you have filed Form 4361,

GordonGekko
Returning Member

Spoiler
But what if that's not the appropriate SIC Code?  I understand that 813000 is a catch-all that is commonly used,  however, 866108 is the appropriate code for self-employment income as a Pastoral Counselor that has been approved by the IRS under Form 4361.  In this situation, how do we get the proper forms to populate in TurboTax?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies