Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, i already max out my Roth IRA contribution. Can i also max out my SEP IRA contribution whic is 25% of my net income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Hi, i already max out my Roth IRA contribution. Can i also max out my SEP IRA contribution whic is 25% of my net income?

Yes, you can make a SEP contribution (you have until July 15, 2020 to do so for 2019, or, if you request a filing extension, you have until October 15, 2020), but the maximum permissible SEP contribution is not 25% of net profit.  The maximum permissible contribution from self-employment income is 20% of net earnings where net earnings are your net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.  Also note that if you make a SEP contribution, the amount of net earnings that remain after subtracting the amount of your SEP contribution must be sufficient to cover your Roth IRA contribution, otherwise some of your Roth IRA contribution will become an excess contribution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The contribution limits on a Roth IRA and a SEP are not dependent on each other - they are separate.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes. The contribution to your Roth doesn’t affect your contribution to your SEP IRA. 

dmertz
Level 15

Yes, you can make a SEP contribution (you have until July 15, 2020 to do so for 2019, or, if you request a filing extension, you have until October 15, 2020), but the maximum permissible SEP contribution is not 25% of net profit.  The maximum permissible contribution from self-employment income is 20% of net earnings where net earnings are your net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.  Also note that if you make a SEP contribution, the amount of net earnings that remain after subtracting the amount of your SEP contribution must be sufficient to cover your Roth IRA contribution, otherwise some of your Roth IRA contribution will become an excess contribution.

Thank you for your reply . I really appreciate it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies