Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

madams135
Returning Member

Help with Split-Year Backdoor Roth IRA Filing

When filing 2022 taxes last April( 2023), I noticed that I exceeded the Roth income limits.  I opened a tIRA and recharacterized the 2022 $6k, and then converted back to Roth to complete the backdoor Roth.  On my form 8606, I had the following: Line1:6000,  Line3:6000, Line14:6000.  This is correct for a split-year to the best of my knowledge.     

Fast forward to 2024 and I received two form 1099-R’s for 2023, one with distribution code 2 and one with code R.  I have entered both in the tax software, and appear to not be getting taxed on that backdoor roth.  I did not have an income phaseout for 2023, so i only contributed $6500 to my Roth, and should be able to do so moving forward without needing to utilize backdoor method.  I noticed that no form 8606 was populated for this tax year.  Is this correct, should I have an 8606 this year?  Will this cause a possible audit issue due to the prior year split-year backdoor roth?  Should I have only needed to enter the 1099-Rs, even both of them?  Appreciate any help or guidance that can be given.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
madams135
Returning Member

Is there anybody out there?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you should have Form 8606 if you entered the conversion correctly for Form 1099-R code 2. Please review the instructions Step 2: How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

Also, make sure you click continue after entering all Form 1099-Rs and enter your basis from your 2022 Form 8606 line 14 when TurboTax asks " Any nondeductible Contributions to your IRA? " 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies