Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Georgia High Deductible Health Plan Subtraction TurboTax Instructions

The TY 2022 and 2023 instructions in Turbo Tax for the Georgia High Deductible Health Plan Subtraction appear to be incorrect to me.  The instructions copied below as worded indicate that the out of pocket must be AT LEAST 14,000.  I cannot find anything in Google searches that the out of pocket must be this high.  Should this actually state this as a 'maximum' instead of a minimum?  Are the numbers given even correct for 2023?  All other searches outside of TurboTax just state that the plan must meet the IRS requirements of a High Deductible Health Plan.  Here are the instructions from within Turbo Tax when you click on the Learn More link:

"Georgia allows you to deduct certain high deductible health insurance premiums if your single member health plan has a deductible of at least $1,400 and out-of-pocket of $7,000 or your family health plan has a deductible of at least $2,800 and out-of-pocket of $14,000."

I would think the numbers for 2023 would be a deductible of at least $3000 and a maximum out of pocket of $15,000 for a couple filing a joint return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

"All other searches outside of TurboTax just state that the plan must meet the IRS requirements of a High Deductible Health Plan." - this is the right way to look at it, because there is more to an HDHP than the minimum and maximum limits.

Since the limits for an HDHP change every year, the real instruction should not be about the numbers, but to contact the insurance company to confirm that the health plan is an HDHP.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo Tax needs to fix that language in their documentation.  It made me think last year that I was ineligible for the subtraction because my out of pocket max was below the 14k limit that TT implied.  I have filed an amended return to claim it.

Appreciate your confirmation of my understanding of how this actually should work.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

As you can imagine, the definition of an HDHP is not clear to most taxpayers, which is why the taxpayer should be told to contact the insurance company to see if the policy is an actual HDHP. (yes, sometimes the letters HDHP appear on the insurance card - this helps).

I agree that the wording should be updated, and I will pass this along.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@TaxConfustion 

Part of the process of documenting an issue to be addressed is to get a "sanitized" tax return of the user reporting the issue. "Sanitized" means that any personally identifiable information has been removed from the return so that we have no idea who you are.

You do not have to do the sanitizing; instead, TurboTax will do it for you when ask for a "token". The token is a 7-digit number that points to the sanitized version of the tax return in our data base. So you follow the simple directions below, then post the number of the token in this thread.

How to get a token:

• On the left, click on Tax Tools
  • Under Tax Tools, click on Tools
  • In Tools Center, click on Share my File with Agent
  • TurboTax will give you a “token”, a 7-digit number
  • Post the token number in this thread
  • Be sure to add to that post “@” “billm223” (without the space in between) so that I will be notified

Desktop (Windows)

• Open your return in the desktop product
  • Look along the top and click on Online
  • Click on Send Tax File to Agent
  • Be sure to add to that post “@” “billm223” (without the space in between) so that I will be notified

Desktop (Mac)

• Open your return in the desktop product
  • Look along the top and click on Help
  • Click on Send Tax File to Agent

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies