Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gains on inherited roth

I inherited a Roth IRA which was opened 20+ years ago from a non spouse.  The account contains 1 security, and the rest is cash.  For simplicity, lets say the original account contained $10k cash, which I've since placed into an "inherited ROTH" account.   I'm aware that I won't pay tax on the current $10k if I were to take a lump sum today, but what if I were to buy and sell securities at this point (post death of the original account owner)? Are the post death securities transactions taxable? For example, suppose tomorrow I took the entire $10k and bought a security, then 9 years from now (I fall under the 10 year rule) the $10k had grown to $25k.  Would the $15k be tax free or will it be considered income to me since the original account owner wasn't the one that purchased / sold the securities that made the gains? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

gains on inherited roth

Because it has been more than 5 years since the beginning of the year for which the decedent first made a Roth IRA contribution, any distribution from the inherited Roth IRA will be nontaxable.

Under the 10-year rule, no distributions are required from an inherited Roth IRA until the end of the 10th year following the year of death, so you could take a single distribution at the end of the 10th year and that distribution will be entirely free of tax.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

gains on inherited roth

I'm going to page @dmertz. Please check back later.

dmertz
Level 15

gains on inherited roth

Because it has been more than 5 years since the beginning of the year for which the decedent first made a Roth IRA contribution, any distribution from the inherited Roth IRA will be nontaxable.

Under the 10-year rule, no distributions are required from an inherited Roth IRA until the end of the 10th year following the year of death, so you could take a single distribution at the end of the 10th year and that distribution will be entirely free of tax.

gains on inherited roth

much appreciated.

gains on inherited roth

much appreciated

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies