Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8606 - How to report the immediate backdoor conversion event (no 1099-R)?

Today is April 4, 2024, I made a non-deductible $7500 contribution for 2023 to my Traditional IRA and immediately I backdoor converted the entire amount of $7500 to Roth IRA.

In this case, I would need to report both the non-deductible contribution (Traditional IRA) and backdoor conversion (Roth IRA) using the 2023 Form 8606 because these two actions are for the Tax Year 2023 although they happened in April of 2024.

In TurboTax preparing the 2023 tax return, I was able to trigger Form 8606 to report the non-deductible contribution on Part I of Form 8606. However, I am unable to report the backdoor conversion (Part II of Form 8606) as it appears that TurboTax requires a 1099-R for the Part II. Obviously, I won't have the 1099-R until next year 2025. And it seems wrong to me if I create a new 1099-R on my own, as I will receive an offical one next year.

Also, when I overrided Part II of Torm 8606, TurboTax flags as errors and it won't be able to file electronically. 

Potentially, I can mail in the physical Form 8606. But I'd like to find out the best way to handle this situation in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You can only report the first half of the back door Roth IRA conversion on your 2023 tax return.  The second half will be on your 2024 tax return.

You mentioned that you have already entered the non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution as part of your 2023 return.  That is all you can report at this time.  

When you convert a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, the conversion is reported on your return based on the calendar date of the conversion.  It is not associated with a particular tax year (like 2023).  Since the conversion took place in 2024, it will be reported on your 2024 tax return after you have received the 2024 Form 1099-R showing the Traditional IRA distribution.  

@easyxpress 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

sorry, you cannot report the Roth "contribution" on 2023 tax return since you did it in 2024.

enter only the non-deductible election at this time.

@easyxpress 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You can only report the first half of the back door Roth IRA conversion on your 2023 tax return.  The second half will be on your 2024 tax return.

You mentioned that you have already entered the non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution as part of your 2023 return.  That is all you can report at this time.  

When you convert a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, the conversion is reported on your return based on the calendar date of the conversion.  It is not associated with a particular tax year (like 2023).  Since the conversion took place in 2024, it will be reported on your 2024 tax return after you have received the 2024 Form 1099-R showing the Traditional IRA distribution.  

@easyxpress 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies