turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swiss

Form 5329-T, it keeps telling me I have to enter an amount of at least $10,000 for first home purchase which I did not use my early withdrawal for.

We withdrawal $10,600 from a Roth IRA and used $4000 for my sons education. TurboTax is sending an error message because we did not enter at least $10,000 under first home purchases. Why?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Form 5329-T, it keeps telling me I have to enter an amount of at least $10,000 for first home purchase which I did not use my early withdrawal for.

This happens when you indicate in the follow-up to entering a code J Form 1099-R that you used at least some of the money from the Roth IRA to purchase a first home and you do not also indicate on the penalty-exception page that you used the money for a first-home purchase.

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not provide any way to get back to the original follow-up question to change your response.  You must delete and reenter the code J Form 1099-R for the Roth IRA distribution, then proceed through the follow-up questions again. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies