turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 4852 for taxes withheld for wrong state on 1099r

My financial institution withheld taxes for the wrong state on my 1099r (I moved from NJ to NC in Dec 2022, but a retirement distribution made in Jan 2023 had money withheld for NJ not NC).  I have contacted the financial institution to get a corrected 1099r issued, but they are still researching whether they can/will do this.

I know I have to file a non-resident return for NJ to get the withholding back. I also know that I need to file an amended 1099r (Form 4852) if the financial institution ultimately decides not to issue a corrected 1099r. I know how to get Form 4852 to come up on Turbotax, but I am a bit confused about what should be entered in section 8, item g (ie, section titled "Form 1099-R" and item titled "State income tax witheld and name of state"):

1) Since Form 4852 is supposed to be a substitute 1099r, should I fill in item 8g with the amount of money that should have been withheld for NC (even though no money has been or will be withheld by the financial institution for NC)?  Or, should I leave item 8g blank since no money has been or will be withheld for NC and the money that was actually withheld for NJ was done in error?

2) Will there be any place in my Federal return where the incorrect amount withheld for NJ is actually recorded/referenced (other than in the text explanation of what happened in Form 4852)? Since I will be filing a non-resident NJ return to get back the erroneously withheld money, it just seems like there should be some sort of reference to the NJ withholding in the Federal return outside of the text explanation in Form 4852, but maybe my thought process on this is just off and no other reference is needed.

Thanks,

Matthew

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You don't need to file a Form 4852.  Report the 1099-R as received.  On your New Jersey non-resident return there will be a page where you indicate or adjust your New Jersey income.  You will indicate that your New Jersey Retirement Income (as well as all other income) is zero, and you will receive a full refund of the tax paid to New Jersey.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You don't need to file a Form 4852.  Report the 1099-R as received.  On your New Jersey non-resident return there will be a page where you indicate or adjust your New Jersey income.  You will indicate that your New Jersey Retirement Income (as well as all other income) is zero, and you will receive a full refund of the tax paid to New Jersey.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, glad to hear Form 4852 is not needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies