Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 4852 as a substitute for 1099

Half of my pension was removed/stolen. Fidelity reported a 1099 R on various accounts I had with them, including this one. It erroneously indicated that I received the funds and that state and Federal taxes were withheld. In order to  get a refund on the taxes I paid on what was stolen, do I fill out the 4852?

Or is there a better way of going about getting that refund?

Thanks

Dale

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Unfortunately, although money from your retirement account was stolen, you are still responsible for reporting the distributions on your tax return by entering the Forms 1099-R as received.  Whatever amounts are shown in boxes 4, 14 and 17 of these forms will be credited on your federal and state tax returns.

Further reading of IRS documents, it looks like 4852 is not the best fit for this situation. It’s applicable if there was an error reported on the 1099. Seems as though they would prefer a letter of explanation. And apparently by filing out a 4852, delays the finalization of the return up to 665 days. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

That is correct.  Form 4852 is only used if you did not receive the original tax form or if there is an error on your form that the payer does not correct.  In your situation, it would be the 1099-R.  

If your retirement account was held with an investment advisor, the pension should have protected under the Employer Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).  It may be helpful to look at the resources on that page to see if you have any further steps you can take for the lost funds.  

The IRS relies upon the information reported on your 1099-R form.  To avoid any delays in processing your return, the information reported on your tax return should match the tax forms provided to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies