turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1099-R with Distribution Code 'W' in box 7 and '0' in box 2A: Turbo Tax asking "What did I do with the money?"

I received a 1099-R with a gross distribution amount in Box 1, but zero for the taxable amount in Box 2a. Per the insurance company, the distribution was related to "charges or payments for purchasing qualified long-term care insurance contracts under combined arrangements." Clearly, this distribution (which I did not directly receive) is not taxable. The question Turbo Tax is asking me is "What did you do with the money?" There are two options: 1. Moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account) or 2. Did something else with it (cashed out, etc.). This distribution is from a life insurance policy with a LTC rider, not a retirement account. Neither option seems like the clear choice. Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-R with Distribution Code 'W' in box 7 and '0' in box 2A: Turbo Tax asking "What did I do with the money?"

Since the taxable amount is zero, saying you took the cash is a safe bet and better than saying you moved it somewhere.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies