Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1040-ES payment past due date, before due

I just realized that I have 1040-ES in the 2023 return, so paid Fed and state estimated tax as indicated in Voucher 3.  

If I pay estimated tax of Vouchers 1 and 2 from now, past due at this point, can I reduce the penalty on them in my 2024 return?  In other words, is it better to pay 1040-ES sooner than later even if it is past due?

And, can I pay Voucher 4 estimated tax before due date?   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@_Aw_3_1 wrote:

And, can I pay Voucher 4 estimated tax before due date?   

Yes, but you won't get any credit, or avoid any previous penalties, by doing so.

Further, you should pay any overdue amounts as soon as practicable.

First, just because turbotax printed vouchers doesn't mean you need to pay them.  Turbotax based the vouchers on last year, so if your situation changes, you might owe more or less.

Then, yes, paying as soon as you can will help reduce penalties and interest, but probably not eliminate them.

I recommend that if Turbotax suggest you owe a penalty and wants to include it, you decline that suggestion, and wait for the IRS to bill you.  If they do, you can apply for a waiver/abatement.  It's harder to apply for an abatement if you already paid a penalty with your tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-abate-or-other-administrative-waiver

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies