Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Retirement Pension-Problems with FIN Error-Form 1099-R and Payer's Federal Identification Number-Please Fix It.

Hi, for years I've been using form 1099-R to report my wife's foreign pension income without any problems. I was using nine digits 11-1111111 as payers FIN and I had no problems so far. Actually, this method was recommended by many Turbo Tax users. This year TT wouldn't allow me to do that, I'm getting an error which would prevent e-filing for sure. I'd like to use 1099-R because the program automatically would transfer this properly as a  retirement income to our New York state income tax return. NYS allows $20,000 pension and annuity income exclusion. How can I fix this error without creating any other income new entries or new forms? Is there a secret 9-digit code or can Intuit properly address and  fix this issue. I also think it's time for Intuit to make a generic 1099-R form for all those foreign pension payers without FIN. There are many people getting foreign retirement income.  Thank you,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Foreign Retirement Pension-Problems with FIN Error-Form 1099-R and Payer's Federal Identification Number-Please Fix It.

It still takes me here to is community board

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Enter your foreign pension (except Canada*) like this:

1. Return to your income section
  2. Add/Edit the 1099-R for your foreign pension
  3. Go through the main entry screen and leave the ID number blank
  4. Continue to see multiple question screens: 
  5. Is it an IRA? 
  6. Where is your distribution from?
  7. What kind of plan?
  8. Do any of these situations apply to you? You want to check the box that you need a substitute 1099-R form. The substitute form  can be filed without the erroneous federal id number. You can still efile your return.
  9. Continue - answer how you arrived at the figure,
  10. Continue -  answer your foreign county does not issue 1099-R.
  11. Continue answering questions. If you are efiling, you can skip printing the form 4852. As a matter of personal preference, I like to save a copy and would click print for my digital records. Click skip after printing or instead of printing 
  12. Continue answering standard questions, periodic payment or lump sum, when did payments begin, etc.

*If you have Canada Pension Plan or Old age security, see here. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You'll still need to provide a FIN, you can't leave it blank on 1099 when you reporting income.

Even a substitute 1099 form would take you to actual 1099 where you'd have to input your income.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You have options. The program has changed. Form 4852 is for a substitute 1099-R and it will be generated following these steps. The Form 4852 is not eligible for efile without the ID. We could move the income to the other income section but that could affect other issues. 

If you can move the income to to Other Income without it affecting other parts of your return, that would be the easiest.

To enter:

1. You would go to personal income, 
  2. scroll to the bottom to misc income, 
  3. start, 
  4. scroll to the bottom again, 
  5. other reportable income, 
  6. start.
  7. enter USD amount and description.

If you are using the desktop program, you have the ability to override the things that are affected by the change in income placement. You would have to save a pdf of the return with the income in place as 1099R to manipulate the numbers back to that position after moving it to other income.

If you want to mail in your return, you can follow the steps for a 1099-R substitute, Form 4852.

@ParkNYC 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you file form 4852 you'd still have to attach 1099, the 1099 form requires the ID if you're reporting distribution in box 1 different than zero dollars, without the ID you won't be able to e-file. Other income option wouldn't work for tax filers who need to report pensions on state tax returns to receive the state pension exclusion, sorry not a solution for such filers. Also, I have too many forms to paper file my return. 

I've already proposed an easy fix in my other posts. A worksheet for foreign pensions or generic ID number for foreign payers would fix the issue with 1099-R error and state tax pension exclusion issues.

@AmyC 

N Grant

99-09999999 WORKS!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies