turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For W-2G, what state do you list for Box 13? On the form I received, there is no state listed. I won in Nevada, and that state is not an option to choose

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

For W-2G, what state do you list for Box 13? On the form I received, there is no state listed. I won in Nevada, and that state is not an option to choose

Leave it blank.  The Box 13 State tells TurboTax which state it needs to generate an income tax return for. Since Nevada does not have an income tax, no Nevada income tax return could be generated.

• If you live in a state that has an income tax, you'll pay state income taxes to your resident state.

Note: If the other state happens to be Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming, you won't be able to file a nonresident return because those states don't collect income tax.

• However, you'll still need to report that income on your resident state return (assuming your resident state collects income tax) as well as your federal return. Source: TurboTax FAQ
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
debs2020

Do I need to file PA. tax return in I live in FL. and have a W_2G form? I have more losses then winnings?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. Pennsylvania taxes nonresident individuals on gambling and lottery winnings derived from sources within Pennsylvania. Gambling and lottery winnings are derived from sources within Pennsylvania by reason of a wager placed in the state. These winnings must be included as taxable income.

Gambling losses can only be deducted up to your gambling winnings. In addition, they will only be deductible on your return if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A

Gambling and Lottery Defined for Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Purposes

@debs2020

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies