Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For a house I bought and put in service in '22 how do I switch from MACRS depreciation I used in '22 to bonus depreciation deduction for '23 tax return for the $126K worth of 5/15 year depreciable assets in the house in turbo tax?

I am using TurboTax home & business v23. I bought a house in Jan 2022 for 550K (structure $500K, land 50K) and put it on rent in 2022. I am a professional investor and can deduct 100% of the losses incurred due to the property.

I took MACRS depreciation deduction of $18,181 on it on a 27.5 year schedule ($500k/27.5=$18,181) in 2022.

so ($500k-$18181=) $481819 of depreciation remains to be taken over next 26.5 years. But instead of continuing on this path I would like to switch to one time cost segregation bonus depreciation deduction on assets that are on a 5 year and 15 year depreciation schedule.

I had a cost segregation study done and was told items worth $126K are on a 5 year/15 year depreciation schedule.

I am filling my 2023 tax returns and would like to take advantage of the fact that bonus depreciation deductible % for year 2022 is 100%.

I understand i will need to file form 3115 to let IRS know about the change in accounting method.

My question is, how do I switch from MACRS depreciation I used in '22 to bonus depreciation deduction for the $126K worth of assets in the house in my '23 tax returns in turbotax? Currently I do not see a way to do this in Turbotax also couldn't find a clear answer in the current QA. Thank you for your help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

For a house I bought and put in service in '22 how do I switch from MACRS depreciation I used in '22 to bonus depreciation deduction for '23 tax return for the $126K worth of 5/15 year depreciable assets in the house in turbo tax?

I'll page @AmeliesUncle for this. Check back later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies