Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sl1972

Filing taxes after divorce and receiving 401K money

I will be receiving half of my husband's 401K due to divorce which will be final in July 2019.  When I file taxes for 2019, will whatever amount I actually withdraw (instead of rolling it over) be considered taxable income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes.

Although division of assets is not normally taxable in a divorce, money in a qualified plan is always taxable when it is withdrawn, because it was never taxed when it was contributed/deposited.  Any amount you don't roll over will be taxable income to you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes.

Although division of assets is not normally taxable in a divorce, money in a qualified plan is always taxable when it is withdrawn, because it was never taxed when it was contributed/deposited.  Any amount you don't roll over will be taxable income to you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if withdrawn before you are 59 1/2 there is a 10% penalty. but there are qualifying exceptions.

https://wellkeptwallet.com/401k-penalty-for-early-withdrawal/

If the distribution is pursuant to a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO), there is no 10% penalty for early withdrawal on the part not rolled over into another qualified plan, although there still is regular income tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies