turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joel405
Returning Member

Fidelity IRA 1099-R required early distribution withheld NJ state taxes $600. But we live in Florida all of 2018. Money back?

My wife and I moved to Florida from Illinois in early 2017. Between Illinois and Florida we used our son's New Jersey address to take our mail because there was a 2-week period we were not in Florida physically and didn't want to lose any important mailings. Probably not a good idea. Because on an inherited IRA (Fidelity) we changed our address to NJ in the process. And I failed to update it to Florida. Now doing my 2018 taxes I realize Fidelity withheld 2018 NJ state taxes of $600. Which would have been $0.00 in Florida. We've updated Fidelity's records. Won't happen again. Can I get my $600 back? Please advise. Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
joel405
Returning Member

Fidelity IRA 1099-R required early distribution withheld NJ state taxes $600. But we live in Florida all of 2018. Money back?

I think I can answer my own question. Actually, TurboTax seems to have solved it. I went ahead and entered the 1099-R, including the $600 NJ state withholding. As I closed out that step, TurboTax automatically prompted me to download NJ state tax module and, likewise automatically, prepared a NJ non-resident filing. So, NJ has our $600. Upon filing federal and state, I'll file the NJ non-resident submittal, which will (because we're not NJ residents) qualify us for a $600 refund (fingers crossed). BTW, I contacted Fidelity, explained the problem and they went into their CRM and noted that they'd actually caused the error as there was a record of my wife phoning in to update our Florida address in the fall of 2017. And they offered to pickup the costs of the TurboTax module and the electronic filing fees. Wow. Sometimes karma hits. Going now to buy a lottery ticket for the first time. Hoping karma stays with me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies