Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KazkoTX
Returning Member

Fidelity 401k After-Tax Rollover/Sweep to Roth 401k

2021 was the first year we had the ability to do an additional 10K of contribution to our 401k plan at work. It is after-tax of course, and Fidelity added the auto-sweep feature to roll/recharacterize it as Roth.

So then I did receive the 1099-R with a code G in box 7, the referenced amount in box 1, a zero amount in box 2a and the same referenced amount of non-deductible (after-tax) in box 5.

Software took it all in and all is good except for one thing that confuses or worries me. That 1099-R amount, which was simply recharacterized as Roth within the 401k, was treated by the software as income for the year lifting my total income by that amount.  It DID NOT tax the amount, no worries there, but instead of INCOME for the year, the software totaled things as INCOME+1099-R.  This may not matter, but it will be confusing historically. So basically I dumped AMOUNT from my paycheck into the new 401k plan feature, and Turbotax is treating it as a distribution for the year ADDING it to my total income from whence it actually came.

Just tell me this doesn't really matter so I can hit send on the E-file.

ADDING:
Looking at the forms view I think I can see expected income numbers, so to add more specific wording to this issue; I think the inflated income only appears in the Federal Review Tax Summary. So basically the "GUI" is treating the 401k to 401k rollover as income distribution but the overall forms may be fine.  Still looking...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Th e amount of the rollover is included in line 5a of your form 1040, but as it is not taxable $0 will appear in line 5b. This is the correct way to report.

You should not worry. The rollover is not taxable and is not included in your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

What was done was an In-plan Roth Rollover, not a recharacterization.  Enter the Form 1099-R and indicate that the money was rolled over to a Roth 401(k) account and that you made after-tax contributions.  This is treated as nontaxable income, so it only appears in box 5a of your Form 1040.  None of it will be included on line 5b.

TurboTax should also include the word ROLLOVER next to line 5b but fails to do so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies